Monday, October 22, 2007

Cooking, lots of cooking

I just recently returned from a short trip to visit with my dad and grandmother. I cooked, cleaned, cooked, visited, cooked, watched a little CABLE! TV!, cooked, laundry, and then I cooked some more. Oh, and then there was the cooking. Lots of cooking, folks. Did you catch that?
Basically, I simply double my standard recipes that I know freeze well. When fully cooked, I freeze into indiviual portions in handy dandy FoodSaver bags. Oh how I love thee, FoodSaver! This is the model we use. This is the newest version. Much sleeker and more modern looking. It also claims to have an 'Advanced Design'. However, I'm not rushing out to replace my 'older' model. So far it's worked wonderfully for me.

While there are several cookbooks and websites listing recipes for bulk cooking, I find it best to use my own. They are standard family friendly recipes. Nothing special, but so nice to have in the freezer. Here's a list of what I recently stocked: taco soup, minestrone soup, turkey chili, beef pot roast with potatoes and carrots, lasagna, sausage balls, chicken spagetti, chicken and rice, soft sugar cookies and brownies. It only took two days of cooking to store about 3 months worth of food!
So, if you have the urge to start freezer cooking, get to it! The weather is perfect. What are you waiting for? A recipe? Oh, ok. This is my favorite version of Taco Soup.
4 lbs ground beef or ground turkey
2 onions, chopped
4 cans Ro-Tel tomatoes (Diced tomatoes with green chilies)
1 large bottle V8 juice
3 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 large bag frozen whole kernel corn
3 packages French's Chili-O seasoning
3 packages Ranch Style dressing mix
Enough water to make it 'soupy'.

Brown ground beef or turkey with chopped onions. Drain if necessary.
Add all other ingredients to meat/onion mixture. Stir well. Simmer over low heat 20-30 minutes. Cool and freeze in individual containers.
Enjoy!

No comments: